CONSULTANCY RECRUITMENT NOTICE (RE-ADVERTISEMENT)
Consultancy Title: Market Assessment Firm (Market Research
Services for Graduation Pilot Program) Reference No. C013 (National Firm)
Project: Loan 4051/4052-MON: Second Shock-Responsive Social Protection Project
Consulting Service Package No. C013: Market Assessment Firm
With a worsening coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation unfolding in the fourth quarter of 2020, the Government of Mongolia has requested urgent additional support for social protection measures to mitigate the socioeconomic impacts of the pandemic on poor and vulnerable groups. The Project will (i) apply shock-responsive social protection principles to continue support for pro-poor child grant top-ups on a temporary basis through an established national social assistance program, and (ii) strengthen social welfare programs and systems for improved household resilience and government response to future crises.
Within the second output of the Project, the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection (MLSP) will pilot testing an economic inclusion program based on the graduation approach with selected poor households to help diversify livelihoods and strengthen their resilience (Graduation Pilot Program).
2. Purpose of the Assignment
MLSP is seeking a market assessment service provider, to conduct a localized market assessment and identify sustainable livelihood options for the Graduation pilot in Ulaanbaatar. MLSP will engage a firm, research institute, NGO, or similar service provider to undertake a detailed market study in the pilot areas of Ulaanbaatar including Chingeltei, Bayanzurkh, and Songino Khairkhan.
1. Sustainable livelihoods through a productive asset is a distinguishing feature of the Graduation approach. Determining the specific livelihoods and related asset packages requires a localized market assessment to identify viable livelihoods, and value chain mapping pegged to the skills and resources possessed by extremely poor households. It will be particularly valuable to assess the experience of similar livelihood support programs provided by other government agencies and external organizations.
2. The goal of the market assessment is to determine a menu of 8-10 profitable livelihood options per district relevant to the targeted Child Money and Food Stamp program recipient households (ages 18-55) in target communities, with enough detail to match participating households to suitable livelihoods. In addition, the market assessment should:
● account for potential COVID-19 related risks and outline strategies participants may employ to adapt in the event of further lockdowns; and
● identify strategies for participants to diversify their assets within a one year period in order to foster greater economic resilience to future shocks.
3. Consulting firm qualifications
Firm Experience: The market assessment service provider will be an established and specialized national consulting firm, research institute, university, non-governmental organization (NGO), or team of qualified consultants with demonstrated experience undertaking localized household-level market research and preparing high-quality recommendation reports (in English and Mongolian) that present statistics and findings in an accessible form to policy and decision-makers. Experience working with government and international organizations is required; MLSP and ADB experience is preferred. Firms may be affiliated with an officially registered not-for-profit organization (e.g., research institute, academic institution, NGO) or stand-alone.
Team Composition: Service providers can determine the composition of their teams and the input required to undertake the tasks described. However, MLSP requires the following two key experts: (i) team leader and (ii) markets and value chain expert. Team members should possess at least 8-10 years of experience in markets and livelihoods with a focus on enterprise and employment opportunities for populations experiencing poverty. Key personnel should also possess relevant Master’s degrees (Economics, Urban Development, Sociology, Business, or related social sciences) and experience in surveying, data analysis, and report writing. Enumerators may possess varying degree levels if needed. In addition to the required key experts, proposing entities should also include in accordance with their proposed approach and methodology.
Team Leader. The team leader will be responsible for managing timely execution of deliverables, maintaining close relationships with NGO pilot staff including the Graduation program manager, MLSP, and ADB, and overseeing quality assurance of all work products. This includes ensuring the solicitation and incorporation of feedback from all pilot stakeholders before finalizing deliverables for submission. The preliminary presentation of findings will be exceptionally important for review and approval before the draft report.
The individual should possess at least 8-10 years of experience in economics, market and labour studies, or socioeconomic research with a focus on livelihood projects for similar populations. She/he should have at least a relevant Master’s degree. The key expert should be engaged for the entirety of the assignment, and take full responsibility for the quality and timely delivery of all required outputs. Experience working with government and international organizations is preferred; MLSP and ADB experience are ideal. Experience should include:
● Demonstrated experience executing field market assessments and surveys;
● Demonstrated experience using qualitative and participatory research methods via remote access such as conducting phone and online surveys or interviews;
● Experience managing teams to fulfil client deliverables and obligations;
● Excellent written and spoken Mongolian and English language skills; and
● Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity;
and Value Chain expert. The markets and value chain expert will be responsible for
providing insights and analysis of localized market study findings pertinent to
target households. This includes reviewing survey instruments and data, mapping
livelihood opportunities and risks, assessing value chain needs to sustain
livelihoods long-term and recommending risk mitigation and diversification
strategies. Development of profit projections and suggested training and skills
development will be critical for household enterprise matching.
The individual should possess at least 8-10 years of experience in economics, market and labour studies, or value chain analysis with a focus on livelihood projects for similar populations. She/he should have at least a relevant Master’s degree or PhD ideal. The key expert should be engaged for the entirety of the assignment, and take full responsibility for the analysis of data collected. Experience should include:
- Demonstrated expertise in local market systems analysis and approaches;
- Demonstrated expertise in livelihoods strategies for extreme poor populations;
- Experience in livelihoods identification, diversification, strengthening, preferred;
- Expertise in business analysis, including profit and loss projections, risk, etc;
- Excellent written and spoken Mongolian and English language skills; and
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity;
Please, find complete Terms of Reference (TOR) for the consultancy service on ADB’s Consultant Management System.
All interested firm should submit their Expression of Interest (EOI) via ADB’s Consultant Management Recruitment System at https://selfservice.adb.org/OA_HTML/adb/xxcrs/jsp/ADBCsrnFwd.jsp?sel=178743 before 10 June 2022.
Website: csrn.adb.org (announcement is under Category Mongolia)
Online Submission will be accepted only.
For more information on assignments and submission please contact the Project Implementation Unit:
Second Shock-Responsive Social Protection Project
State Owned Building XI, Room 403
Ulaanbaatar - 14919, Mongolia
Tel: 7000-2140 Fax: 7000-2140
Expression of Interests lacking required documents will be disqualified from evaluation. Only short-listed firms will be contacted.